Beechglen – ESP/3000 Installation Instructions
1. Download the 2 ESP installation files ESPINST and ESPSTD to your PC from http://www.beechglen.com/esp/install
2. Log on to your HP3000 system as MANAGER.SYS.
3. Transfer the 2 files ESPINST and ESPSTD to the PUB group of the SYS account on the HP3000. (see transfer options below)
4. RUN the ESPINST program, which will prompt you for the following information:
Do you have an SMTP (MAIL) server: Y/N
If “Yes” name/address of the SMTP server and an EMAIL user name
to use for default return email address.5. ESPINST will guide you through the remaining steps.
User Intervention and Ongoing Maintenance:
Once installed, ESP/3000 should require no intervention on your part. It will automatically be restarted with each system reboot via a command added to SYSSTART.PUB.SYS. Collected data is routinely removed as needed. ESP/3000 is expected to continue running even during system backups.A command script has been included along with the software as a pre-shutdown checklist. This script should be run from the console whenever the occasion arises where you must shut down your system. This script has two purposes. First, it makes sure as many processes on the system are stopped, including the ESP data collection software, giving you the best chance that your system will reach the SHUT 6 message. Second, it checks to make sure your NMCONFIG file is validated, makes a copy of your current SYSGEN configuration, and optionally can create an SLT and produce a configuration listing. We highly recommend you execute this script each time you shut down your system. The name of this command file is PRESHUT.PUB.ESP. Feel free to review and customize it. Call a Beechglen representative if you have any questions.
It should be noted that PRESHUT should be the final step prior to entering CTRL-A/Shutdown. In shutting down the network services all users with network connections (telnet or VT) as well as all background processes that rely on the network will be disconnected or at least rendered unusable.
Tips for a successful installation:
- The installation can be performed while your users are on-line.
- Depending upon the load on your system and the number of files the installation may take as little as five minutes to as much as an hour. If batch jobs on your system frequently wait for CPU resources to become available it may take longer.
- You should run the installation program from a session other than the system console.
- The terminal you are using will be unavailable for the duration of the install; part of which occurs on-line, some in batch.
- Several questions will be asked at the beginning of the process. No user intervention will be required after that.
- Once installed, the ESP/3000 software runs as a system process. To verify that it is running simply do a :LISTFILE ESPMAIN.PUB.ESP,2 and check to see if the file is in use (has a * by the filename).
- To change ESP configuration options, log on as MANAGER.SYS or MGR.ESP and run EDITCONF.PUB.ESP.
- There will be some files that will remain open for writing at all times when the ESP software is running and therefore may appear on your backup listing as “not stored”. This is perfectly normal. They are:
File Transfer Options:
The installation files are available in the following formats. Choose the one that best fits your environment.
Reflection Terminal Emulator Method – WRQ – Labels Format
- log on to your HP3000 in a Reflection session.
- Open the file transfer dialog box. (File menu, then click Transfer)
- Select “LABELS” mode.
- Enter local file and host file names for transfer.
- Click transfer to host.
Minisoft Terminal Emulator Method – LBL – Save File Info Format
- log on to your HP3000 in a Minisoft window.
- File menu, Upload File to Host.
- Binary mode
- Click on the Save File Info box
- Enter local and host names. –
- Click TRANSFER
FTP Method – FTP – (binary format)
Follow these commands for a “DOS” ftp session (entering the commands in green)
ftp> open your.hp3000.address
ftp> user MANAGER.SYS
ftp> pass SysAccountPassword,ManagerSysUserPassword
ftp> put c:\subdir\espinst.ftp ESPINST;rec=-256,,f,binary;code=1030
ftp> put c:\subdir\espstd.ftp ESPSTD;rec=-256,,f,binary;code=2501
Questions or problems should be directed to email@example.com